Saturday, June 14, 2014

Happy Birthday, Sweet Boy!

Today is this big boy's 8th birthday!  I think I am finally losing my grip on keeping him little.  Eight years old seems to move him out of the little boy bracket into the world of big kids.  I watched him be coached in basketball by the high school boys last week and as I observed those boys, strapping young lads to be sure, I thought that I am going to blink and my little boy will be one of these broad shouldered, deep voiced, bigger-than-their mamas, young men with all the doors of the whole world open to them.  It gave me pause as I marveled how quickly it all goes and how amazing the journey is.  All I can hope is that when he is one of these vibrant young men, he is still so kind that it hurts my heart, so gentle and sensitive that he still carefully moves insects out of harm's way, so smart that he will be able to walk through any of life's open doors with confidence, and as easy going as he always has been so that all of life's moments, the good and the bad, bring a smile to his face, a laugh to his belly, and perspective to his heart.  I also hope that he holds on to his amazing capacity to love wholly and genuinely and that he gives this love freely to those who touch his own heart.

No comments: